Some people love feeding their animals at the dinner table. For many, it’s hard to resist giving their dog a lick of something tasty at the bottom of a bowl or a drumstick now and then. At Cypress Vet, we are not fans of this behaviour but obviously, know it happens. It’s okay to treat your dog but there are definitely some things you need to stay clear of. In this blog, we have a list of some foods you should avoid. They can be extremely dangerous for your pet.
If you notice your dog getting sick, acting strangely, or getting weaker, visit your nearest pet or give Pet Poison a call. They are a 24-hour animal poison control service available throughout Canada and the United States for pet owners who require assistance.
1. Macadamia Nuts
Veterinarians aren’t sure why macadamia nuts are toxic to dogs. But whatever the reason, they can cause vomiting, fever and weakness. Thankfully, most dogs make a full recovery within 48 hours however it’s best to take your pet to the vet just in case.
Whatever you do, don’t feed your dog grapes. Most people aren’t aware grapes are among the most toxic human food. Ingested grapes can lead to abdomen pain, ulcers, seizures, kidney failure, comas and even death. Like macadamia nuts, veterinarians aren’t sure why it has such negative effects on dogs.
3. Onions and Garlic
Garlic and onions belong to the Allium plant family and are toxic to dogs in any form, whether fresh, cooked, or dried. Even small amounts of garlic and onion powder can be fatal. In fact, all allium plants damages dogs’ red blood cells, decreasing oxygen flow, and can also lead to anaemia, which may cause organ damage and in some cases death.
Regular, unsalted homemade popcorn isn’t recommended for dogs but it won’t be fatal. However, if you serve delicious cinema popcorn with high levels of fat and salt, it can be problematic and cause long-term health problems. If that’s not bad enough, smaller pieces and un-popped kernels can be a real choking hazard. We strongly recommend you stay away from serving your dog popcorn even though we know how tempting it can be when watching a movie together.
Avocado is primarily a problem for birds, rabbits, goats, donkeys, and horses, but occasionally dogs too. The surrounding skin, which contains persin, an oil-soluble fungicidal toxin, can be dangerous to dogs and other pets. Pets sensitive to persin may experience heart problems, indigestion and acid reflux which can lead to sickness and even death. To be safe, peel the avocado to avoid the skin. It can be a tasty treat for a special occasion.
6. Chocolate and Coffee
Most types of chocolate are toxic for dogs, but did you know that caffeine is also one of the most dangerous foods for dogs? Caffeine is a powerful stimulant and affects dogs more than people, causing vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. Early treatment is key to preventing more serious health issues, so if you know that your dog has ingested coffee, tea, or an energy drink, don’t wait – take your dog to the vet right away.
One of the most common types of human foods given to dogs is cheese. However, it can be dangerous, especially if used as a treat and can cause constipation, diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal issues. If you continue to feed your dog fatty cheese then it can cause obesity, diabetes and early death.
Leave A Comment