Everybody knows there are certain foods you shouldn’t feed your pets but sometimes it’s hard to resist those big, loving eyes as he begs you to share. When you want to give him a treat from the table how do you know which foods are safe to feed them? Here are some guidelines of what you should keep away from your pets.
Pretzels, chips, and crackers are full of salt and can cause excessive thirst and urination. Snack foods are as bad to animals as they are to humans – sometimes worse – and you should exercise restraint. If your pet gets too many snacks it can even lead to sodium ion poisoning, the effects of which can include vomiting fevers, diarrhea and even death.
The traditional image of a cat lapping up milk is a misleading one. Cats are very fond of cream because of its high fat content and so they are especially attracted to milk that has come straight from the cow. However the processed milk you buy at supermarkets contains little fat and it’s full of added preservatives so it’s not easy for them to digest. In addition, both cats and dogs can be lactose intolerant so it’s a good idea to keep milk way from them all together.
It might be tempting to let your animal have some alcohol, especially if you’re hosting a party but even a small amount can be dangerous, or even fatal. Make sure you don’t leave any open drinks unattended around your cat or dog.
While you might think hot dogs are tasty, they aren’t very good for pets. Hot dogs are packed with tons of salt and preservatives that animals aren’t used to. Excessive amounts can lead to indigestion and diarrhea. You might be tempted to feed them to your dog but it’s not recommended.
You may think that fruits couldn’t possible harm your animal but that isn’t necessarily the case. Avocado contain a toxin called persin that can cause upset stomach and breathing difficulties. Grapes and raisins are also toxic to dos and can cause kidney failure.
It’s extremely tempting to give your dog leftovers from a steak, ribs or chicken wings. But unfortunately bones can splinter and if they are digested they can puncture wounds in your dog’s mouth, stomach or digestive tract. Instead, if you want to give your pet a bone, you should buy one from the pet store.
This is a common one that everybody seems to know, but worth adding just in case. It contains caffeine and theobromine, which is a methylxanthine, which can cause vomiting, abdominal pains,, muscle tremors, irregular heart rhythm, elevated body temperature, seizures, and death. Keep it away!
If you’d like to make an appointment for your pet contact us HERE
Leave A Comment