It’s always wonderful to sprinkle your home with Christmas decorations, but it can be a challenge to protect your pet and at the same time keep your ornaments, Christmas lights, and Tree safe.

We know it’s always fun to see those videos of a cat bringing down a Christmas Tree on Youtube, but in reality it can be very dangerous, not to mention add to your Holiday expense.

In this blog, we are going to give you a couple of simple tips that will allow your pets to join the holiday fun this year and avoid any trips to the animal emergency room.

Christmas Tree

Place your tree in the corner out of the way. This will not only keep your tree stable but will keep it out of your pets’ line of sight.

Tinsel is a beautiful addition to your tree, but because it’s shiny, long and stringy, if digested, it can potentially block your pets intestines which might only be fixed through surgery.

Ornaments also need to be kept out of pets’ way. They can injure paws, mouth, or other parts of the body. And speaking of ornaments, don’t put any edible decorations on your tree, especially chocolate ones as they can be lethal if ingested by your pets.

Another thing to avoid is putting lights on the tree’s lower branches. Not only can your pet get tangled but your pets can burn themselves if the lights overheat. And if that isn’t enough, your dog or cat can get an electric shock if they start chewing on the wires.

If this all seems too much, you might want to consider getting an artificial tree instead of a real one. It could be the safer option. Cats especially think tree trunks are a natural scratching post and are tempted to climb which can cause them to unexpectedly topple over.


Keep Holly and Mistletoe Away from your pet. Either hang them up high or get artificial ones made of silk or plastic. Not only are they pet friendly but they last a lot longer! If your pets ingest holly, it can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Mistletoe can cause gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems.


When the days get short and the weather cold, it’s very tempting to light some candles in your house to make it homelier. But with mischievous animals, they can be a fire hazard and cause injury. There is no telling where a wagging tail can end up.

Unfortunately, even if the candle is kept well away from your pet it can still cause harm. When a candle is burning, it draws on the wax and wick to stay alight and depending what exactly it’s made of, it can be emitting toxins into your home environment which is bad for your dog or cat. Animals are more sensitive in general to these toxins because of their size and their metabolism.

If you desire some glow, then consider purchasing artificial candles or lights. They can provide the same light and be a lot safer.

Extension Cords

Pets love to play with long and tangled electrical wires, so opt to use a short extension cord with little slack when assembling your Christmas décor. Another smart tip is to tape wires down to the floor or against the wall to prevent pets from playing with loose and movable sections. If possible, you should also hide all cord ends and sockets from your pets.

Consider using electrical cords that automatically shut off once they are damaged. This feature will help keep your pets safe from electrocution, should they start playing with and exposing live wires.

We hope this helps you and your furry family have a happy, accident free holiday season! If you have any questions about what is appropriate for your pet during this holiday send us a message HERE